This is fuss free AND delicious for an edible Christmas gift or centrepiece for a party. The key here is to take your time with melting the mixture, and not be in a hurry as it will more likely sieze or burn. Don’t make the same mistake as Jamie and I, add the bicarb straight after it comes off the heat….don’t get distracted by another job!!
Don’t forget to check out our Christmas Rocky Road, Sticky gingerbread and Fuss Free Mince Pies or the festive recipes I made on The Hairy Bikers recently including panforte and amaretti biscuits… Merry Christmas! Lisa x
- 200g caster sugar
- 8 tbsp. golden syrup
- 3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- Put the sugar and syrup into a saucepan. You mustn’t stir once the pan’s on the heat
- Place the pan on a medium heat and let the mixture first melt. Only give the pan a gentle shake, no stirring!
- Let the mixture melt slowly over 10-20 minutes (that way it won’t burn!). Once it turns to goo it will start to bubble and then you need to wait till it goes the colour of maple syrup
- Immediately take the pan off the heat, whisk in the bicarbonate of soda and watch the syrup turn into a bubbling cloud pale gold in colour.
- Tip this out immediately onto a piece of reusable baking parchment or greased foil.
- Leave until set and then break it into small pieces or long shards