Cooking with children is a great way to set them up as keen cooks of the future. How many of us hit adulthood and feel we just don’t know the basics or have the skills to make cooking simple. By cooking with children early on, beyond cakes and cookies, we can teach them skills whilst having fun!
In this week’s summer series we make a super tasty, customisable vegetable frittata. These are great warm out of the oven or cold for a picnic, but either way fuss free to make. In this video, we master how to break an egg and a few basic chopping skills. Choose a knife that you feel comfortable for your child to use so that you can relax and let them have a go by following the steps to keep those little fingers safely tucked away!
This is a wonderful summer dish to teach your child. Have fun making 1 or add another egg per person and 30g of veg to make more. Each child can easily add the vegetables they like so there is more chance that they will eat it! If you have a go I would love to see what you make, so feel free to post up a pic in The Fuss Free Foodie community on Facebook…and if you want to share this with mums who are looking for fun things to do with the kids this summer, then please feel free to share. Have fun! Lisa x
- 1 large egg (work on 1 egg per child)
- 30g selection of your child’s favourite veg or use up some leftovers
- (Shallots or spring onion, peppers, mushrooms, courgettes, spinach, peas)
- A small twist of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp of cheese (cheddar, goats cheese or favourite cheese)
- 1 tbsp ham
- 1 tsp fresh or dried herbs (basil, parsley, dill, oregano) or ¼ tsp dried
Muffin tray (2cm deep approx.)
13cm sq. parchment paper
- Preheat the oven at 190 deg c.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk. Season with salt and pepper
- Chop a selection of vegetables finely using the methods in the video. Add to the egg mixture.
- Finely chop or snip the herbs, cheese and ham with a pair of scissors if using. Add to the egg mixture.
- Line the muffin tray with a square of parchment paper, flatten it well into the sides.
- Using a ladle place the mixture into the lined muffin tray or pour in using a jug if children are younger.
- Cook in the oven for about 23 minutes at 190 degrees until the frittata is set and slightly browned.
- Carefully remove from the tray and leave to cool on a wire rack
- Serve warm or cool and take on a picnic.